Monday, March 20, 2017

We Arrived - Civitanova Marche


L'Aeroporto di Ancona-Falconara was small, but really convenient.  There was only one baggage claim and the rental car kiosk was right past security.  Having a GPS in this area is a must.  I purchased a Garmin Italy maps SD card and brought my GPS from home.  The toll road was easy, but as soon as I took the exit to Civitanova Marche, it was one traffic circle after another.  

Standard B&B

We are staying at the Standard B&B on Corsa Dalmazia.  It is a three room B&B right in the heart of town.  For dinner we ate crescia (Umbrian cheese bread sandwich) at B.A.C. Cresceria a couple of blocks from the B&B.  My sandwich had prosciutto, mozzarella, tomato, and a hint of lemon. 



Letizia one of the owners of the B&B made us a delicious breakfast.  We ate so much that we did not eat lunch.



After breakfast we headed to the beach and the port which was only a few blocks away.



After the beach we attended mass at San Pietro Apostolo in Piazza XX Settembre (the main square). This was the church my great grandparents were married in 1914.  It was built in 1841 and was the only church in Civitanova Marche for a long time, so it is likely that generations of my family were married in that church.



Outside the church in Piazza XX Settembre there was an outdoor market.  I bought a couple small souvenirs for my daughters and my mom and sister.




After the market.  We visited the last address my grandfather lived at prior to immigrating to the United States.  I found the address on the family's Italian identity cards.

Via Cesare Battisti, 55, Civitanova Marche

After all that walking, we decided to treat ourselves to a little gelato - yum!


On Sunday afternoons, the main street, Corso Umberto 1, closes to traffic and the locals walk up and down the street and window shop.  There are a lot of young children riding their bikes and teenagers on skates.  A few shops are open, but mainly it is a chance for the residents to socialize.  Since we wanted to do what the locals do, we walked for a couple hours up and down the main road.


For dinner, we went out for pizza to Il Segreto di Pucinella on Via Regina Elena.


Finally, we had some take out dessert from Pasticceria Bar on Corso Umberto 1. My desert was layered with three different types of cream - pudding, whipped cream, then a stiff meringue on top.


Very excited to meet up tomorrow with the genealogist I hired to help me research my Cacarozzo line in Fermo.  

1 comment:

  1. WooHoo!!! I am SO excited to follow along on your adventures and how lovely to get to do it with your dad. Can't wait for you to drag Aunt Nikki on the next adventure to Italy when you follow the Volpe line!

    ReplyDelete